Colleton County Fire-Rescue

12/01/2018

02/December/2018 Structure Fire A Shift

Incident # 18-08368 Fourteen dogs perished and a north Colleton home was heavily damaged in a late morning fire at 982 Treu Street Sunday morning 02-December. At 10:40, 9-1-1 was notified of a house on fire at the intersection of Treu St and Shady Dell Lane. Engine 19 arrived minutes later to find the single story wood frame dwelling heavily involved with fire across the entire front of the structure and fire venting from the attic vents on both ends of the building. Firefighter-Paramedics deployed multiple handlines to the building and quickly knocked down the fire on the front of the home. Crews then made entry through the front door to extinguish the fire inside the home. Firefighters had the fire under control within 15 minutes, but overhaul took two hours. Firefighters recovered 7 deceased puppies and 7 deceased adult canines from the building. The building suffered substantial damage. The fire appears to have started from a heat lamp on the front porch which was used to keep the dogs warm.  No injuries were reported from the residents of the home. Water supply was conducted with Tenders on the single lane dirt road. Colleton Fire units were on the scene for 3 hours.  

Engine 19. Engine 26, Tender 1, Tender 5, Tender 19, Tender 26, Tender 27, Medic 19, Battalion 1, Car 112 and Car 118 responded. Battalion Chief Scott Feather served as Incident Commander.

Photos by Harold Buzzell

 
 
 
   

BACK TO HOME