Colleton County Fire-Rescue
18/December/2019 – Structure Fire – “A” Shift
Incident # 19-08773 - One man was transported to the hospital and a family was displaced after a fire occurred in their home at 25 Twin Oaks Lane, Wednesday night 18-December. At 23:15, 9-1-1 was notified of the fire inside the building. The caller advised the fire was in a bedroom, but everyone had safely exited the residence. Engine 19 arrived minutes later to find smoke coming from the singlewide mobile home and fire visible through a bedroom window. Firefighter-Paramedics deployed two handlines to the building and forced entry through a rear door. They were met with heavy fire conditions as flames exited through the utility room. Entry crews were able to quickly knock down the flames and enter the structure, containing the fire to the bedroom. The remainder of the home suffered smoke and heat damage, but many personal items, including many Christmas gifts were saved. The master bedroom and adjacent utility room received substantial damage. The occupant advised she was awakened by a popping sound, just prior to the smoke alarms alerting. She found the bedroom on fire near a space heater. She woke the other occupants and gathered a baby from another room and all of them safely exited the home into the 25 degree night. They sat in a vehicle to stay warm. Firefighter-Paramedics treated an adult male for respiratory problems resulting from smoke inhalation. He was transported in stable condition to Colleton Medical Center by Fire-Rescue Medic 26. Crews had the fire under control within 20 minutes and were on the scene for 2-1/2 hours performing overhaul. The fire appears to have started near a space heater in the master bedroom. It was one of four space heaters in use at the residence. Water supply was conducted with Tenders. The Red Cross is assisting the family.
Engine 19, Engine 26, Tender 1, Tender 19, Tender 26, Tender 27, Medic 19, Medic 26, Battalion 1, Car 105, Car 112 and Car 118 responded. Battalion Chief Scott O’Quinn served as Incident Commander.
Photos by Harold Buzzell
BACK TO HOME