Colleton County Fire-Rescue


At 1826 Tuesday 13-January, Stations 1, 2, 6, 19 and 27 responded to a high speed fatal MVC at the intersection of Green Pond Hwy and Clover Hill Road. Apparently a southbound Sheriff’s Deputy collided head-on with a northbound pickup truck when the truck entered the southbound lane. Shortly after the initial dispatch, 9-1-1 assigned additional units to the call advising of multiple patients with persons trapped. Medic 6 and Engine 6 arrived within minutes and confirmed two critical patients trapped in the two separate vehicles and one patient who was DOA. Both vehicles had received heavy damage. The pickup truck was blocking both lanes of Green Pond Hwy and the patrol car had struck several trees at the wood line.

Three additional ambulances and two medical helicopters were assigned to the call.  Firefighter-Paramedics began treating patients in the vehicles until Rescue 1 arrived. Hydraulic rescue tools were deployed to extricate the patients. A spreader was all that was needed to remove the driver’s door on the pickup truck to allow for removal of the driver. The pickup truck driver suffered multiple trauma injuries, with severe injuries to his head and chest. It only took about 5 minutes to extricate him from the vehicle. He was airlifted from a nearby field to MUSC by the Meducare helicopter. No one in the pickup truck was

wearing a seatbelt. The front seat passenger was partially ejected and died of his injuries. A seven year old boy reportedly crawled out of the pickup truck and was lying on the ground near the edge of the roadway with relatively minor injuries. He was treated at the scene and transported to Colleton Medical Center where he was later released. 

The Deputy also suffered multiple trauma injuries including leg fractures. He was heavily entrapped in the patrol car. Firefighters worked for 43 minutes to free him from the wreckage. A spreader was used to remove the driver’s door and a cutter to make relief cuts in the door frame and “A” post. Two rams were used to lift the dash off of his lower extremities. He received IV fluids and He was flown from the scene to MUSC by the Gold Cross helicopter from Augusta. The SC Hwy Patrol is investigating the accident and their MAIT Team responded as well. Green Pond Hwy. was closed to all traffic for over four hours while crews worked, investigated and cleared the accident.

Battalion Chief Marty Stallings served as Incident Commander.