Colleton County Fire-Rescue


03/February/2013 – Large Woods Fire w/Vehicle Fire – “C” Shift

Incident # 13-00635 – A 28 acre woods fire threatened several homes in the 1200 block of Beavers Pass Road Sunday morning 03-February. At 09:59 Station 7 was dispatched to a car fire near 1196 Beavers Pass Road. When they arrived, firefighters found a rapidly moving woods fire behind several homes and requested additional units to assist in containing the blaze. Low humidity and dry conditions contributed to the spread of the fire which was driven by 20 mph winds. Smoke conditions caused zero visibility, forcing firefighter to don SCBA equipment. A Forestry tractor was also requested. Crews positioned near the homes to protect the exposures until additional apparatus arrived. Multiple handlines and booster lines were used. The Forestry Commission dispatched a second tractor shortly after the first plow arrived. Two additional requests brought more fire units to the scene as the winds pushed the fire through the wooded area and jumped Beavers Pass Road. Firefighters were on the scene for nearly four hours until the fire was contained and Forestry units remained there throughout the afternoon.

 It appeared the fire originated in a SUV that was being stripped. The motor and transmission had been removed from the car and the individuals were in the process of cutting the vehicle into pieces when the fire started. The Sheriff’s Office was notified. Deputies discovered the car was stolen from the Charleston area. The Sheriff’s Office continues to investigate the incident.

Engine 5, Engine 7, Engine 17, Engine 18, Engine 26, Tender 5, Tender 7, Tender 18, Brush 8, Medic 18, Medic 26, Battalion 1 and two Forestry Tractors responded. Captain John Graham served as Incident Commander.

A second large woods fire occurred Sunday afternoon north of Cottageville in the area of Rehoboth Road and Hughes Drive. Units from Station 9 and 11 responded with the Forestry Commission. They were on the scene for several hours. Firefighters kept the fire away from the homes and no structures were damage in either incident.

Photos by Harold Buzzell