Colleton County Fire-Rescue


09/July/2016 – Structure Fire with Injury – “A” Shift

Incident # 16-04397 – An adult male was injured and his home was destroyed in a late night fire the occurred Saturday 09-July at 22:38. Fire-Rescue was alerted to the incident at 2064 Peirce Road north of Cottageville advising a generator was on fire on the back porch of the residence. Engine 9 arrived five minutes later to find the entire one story block structure fully involved. The roof collapsed shortly after arrival. Firefighters deployed multiple handlines to combat the fire. The homeowner advised he was fulling a generator on the back porch with fuel, when the gasoline exploded. He attempted to extinguish the fire himself and was able to safely evacuate the other three family members from the residence. He received severe burns to both legs during the incident. The man was treated at the scene by Firefighter-Paramedics, then transported emergent by Fire-Rescue Medic 9 to Colleton Medical Center. He was later transferred to the Burn Center in Augusta Ga. by private ambulance. Firefighters were on the scene for four hours. It appears the fire quickly spread to several appliances on the covered rear porch, then entered the attic space. Water supply was conducted with a water shuttle. Engine 27 set up at a dry hydrant one mile south of the scene. The family lost most of their belongings. The Red Cross is assisting them.

Engine 9, Engine 902, Engine 27, Tender 2, Tender 9, Tender 19, Tender 27, Tender 32, Medic 9, Medic 19, Battalion 1, Car 12 and Car 107 responded. Battalion Chief Scott O’Quinn served as Incident Commander.