Colleton County Fire-Rescue
01/June/2021 – Structure Fire – “C” Shift
Incident # 21-03814 – A family of six safely escaped a fire that destroyed their home in the 100 block of Platinum Street Tuesday morning 01-June. At 00:02, 9-1-1 was notified of the fire with the caller advising someone banged on their door advising the house was on fire. The occupants told Firefighters the dogs woke them up and they discovered the fire burning across the front porch. Fire-Rescue units arrived minutes later to find the doublewide mobile home approximately 70% involved. Engine 19 deployed multiple hand lines to the building to combat the fire. Firefighter-Paramedics knocked down the flames on the porch, then entered the home through a side door to reach the flames in the interior of the residence. Crews had the fire under control in about 35 minutes stopping further fire damage to the building, but performed overhaul for several hours. The flames burned under the home causing the floor in two front rooms to collapse. The fire also burned into the void space above the ceiling igniting the roof. Firefighters had problems extinguishing the roof due to a metal roof being installed over the old shingles, which made it difficult to reach the burning shingles. Most of the interior of the home and most personal belongings were heavily damaged. Crews were on the scene for five hours. The fire started on the front porch in the area of an exterior electrical outlet. As the fire consumed the porch, it spread under the mobile home and into the attic area, as well as entering the building through several front windows. A Chevrolet Tahoe parked next to the residence also received heavy damage. No one was injured during the incident. The Red Cross is assisting the family.
Engine 19, Engine 27, Tender 1, Tender 19, Tender 26, Tender 27, Medic 19, Medic 26, Battalion 1, Car 112, Car 118 and Car 119 responded. Battalion Chief Scott Feather served as Incident Commander.
BACK TO HOME